Smitty’s Shell station on the northwest corner of Manchester Road at Brentwood Blvd. (1942)
Many of us are familiar with the business at 8419 Manchester. Currently vacant, it was perviously Teson Farms Nursery, and for many years, Edith’s market. Some have always referred to it as “The Fruit Stand”.
Back in the 1920’s, the Brengard family operated a fruit stand, and later a BBQ, at that location. The pictures above show the stand in the 1930’s, and later, in 1943, when a permanent overhang was constructed. The family lived on Helen Ave. The area just north of the business was a large field where Emil Brengard farmed. The Brengard family has a long history in selling fruits and vegetables at Soulard market. The Brengard family played an important role in the early days of Brentwood.
Thanks to Shirley (Brengard) Schmitt who provided these pictures. We will post others at a later date.